Long before racing fans became acquainted with the brilliance of likely Kentucky Derby (gr. I) favorite American Pharoah, J.B. and Kevin McKathan recognized his vast potential.
Charlie's Moment shook off Backbackbackgone early and was never headed in winning the $100,000 Lazaro Barrera Memorial (gr. III) for his first graded stakes tally May 24 at Hollywood Park.
The Ocala Breeders' Sales Co. (OBS) winter mixed sale suffered downturns of 63% in its average price and 74.4% in its median price from a year ago as it opened with a consignor preferred session Jan. 6 in Central Florida. The gross revenue dropped 43% even though the number of horses sold was up 54.1% from 2008's first day total.
Phantom Income and Preachin Man won divisions of the National Association of Two-Year-Old Consignors Futurity at Meadowlands on the night of Sept. 29.
A filly from the family of Mr. Greeley and Street Sense topped day 10 of the Keeneland September yearling sale. Tom Gentry, agent, bought the Hold That Tiger filly for $182,000 from Four Star Sales, agent.
Grade II winner Successful Appeal was represented by his first winner when his 2-year-old daughter Double D Appeal won a two-furlong race in :21.27
Most Popular Stories
- Large Crowd Watches American Pharoah Gallop
- Badilla Earns Emotional Win at Golden Gate
- More Than Just a Name for Run for Retts
- Team Texas Red Partners With TV Star
- Shadwell Sire Bahri Pensioned in England
- Lubash Takes West Point for Second Time
- American Pharoah Takes Easy Gallop at Spa
- Champion Divine Fortune Dies After Fall
- NBC Schedules Two-Hour Travers Broadcast
- Belmont Winner Palace Malice Retired