Phipps Stable's Point of Entry captured his eighth victory in 12 starts on grass with a smooth come-from-behind win in the $500,000 Woodford Reserve Manhattan Handicap (gr. IT) at Belmont Park June 8.
Nominees include eight Eclipse Award winners and the dams of 2012 grade I winners Beholder, Wise Dan, Point of Entry, and Dullahan.
Frank Stronach has purchased a majority interest in three-time grade I winner Point of Entry for breeding purposes from the Phipps Stable, and will maintain half-interest in the horse during his 2013 racing career.
Point of Entry solidified his status as the best turf runner in North America this year with a clear victory in the $600,000 Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational Stakes (gr. IT) Sept. 29 at Belmont Park.
Point of Entry stamped himself as one of America's best turf competitors with a four-length triumph in the $600,000 Sword Dancer Invitational Stakes (gr. IT) at Saratoga Race Course Aug. 18.
Sometimes good things come to those who wait. Such appears to be the case for the Phipps Stable, whose homebred Point of Entry secured his first grade I win with his victory July 14 in the Man o' War.
Point of Entry built a 3-race win streak in the $600,000 Man o' War Stakes (gr. IT) at Belmont Park July 14, drawing off to a solid 3 1/2-length victory while 4-5 favorite Treasure Beach failed to hit the board.
Phipps Stable's homebred Point of Entry shook clear at the top of the stretch and glided to a 1 1/2-length victory under John Velazquez in the $150,000 Elkhorn (gr. IIT) on closing day at Keeneland April 27.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Suddenbreakingnews Works, Bound for Belmont
- Gainesway's Tapizar Has First Winner
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Champs Meet Again in Nassau
- Pegasus World Cup: A Jolt of Reality
- Havre de Grace Half Sister Wins at Delaware
- Barretts Sale Features Wide Selection