Good things come to those who wait, and so it was that Calumet Farm's Irish filly Starstruck bided time stalking the pace, waiting for the right moment to take home the win in the 47th Matchmaker Stakes.
An international field of fillies and mares is set for the 47th running of the $150,000 Matchmaker Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds and up at Monmouth Park July 28.
It was Laughing all the way -- down the stretch, at least -- in the $150,500 Taylor Made Matchmaker Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth Park July 29.
Silver Screamer, winner of the June 30 Eatontown Handicap (gr. IIIT) last out, is the 123-pound high weight in a field of eight fillies and mares entered for the $150,000 Taylor Made Matchmaker Stakes (gr. IIIT) July 29.
Locally-based Get Serious has been off form this season but will try to get back to his winning ways when he goes for his third straight victory in the $200,000 Oceanport Stakes (gr. IIIT) July 31 at Monmouth Park.
In two grade III grass races on the IZOD Haskell Invitational card at Monmouth Park Aug. 1, favored Get Serious led from start to finish in the Oceanport, and Unbridled Essence pulled a 42-1 shocker in the Matchmaker.
Two-time grade II winner Strike a Deal will carry top weight of 123 pounds when leading a field of eight in the $200,000 Oceanport Stakes (gr. IIIT) Aug. 1 at Monmouth Park.
Taylor Made Farm in Nicholasville, Ky. has teamed up with Monmouth Park Racetrack to sponsor "The Taylor Made Matchmaker Stakes," a grade III event worth $150,000 to be run on Haskell Day, Sunday, Aug. 7, this year.
Trainer Christophe Clement and jockey Jose Santos teamed up to win the $100,000 Vinery Matchmaker Stakes (gr. IIIT) with the 4-year-old filly Horatia Sunday at Monmouth Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 2 Winner Iliad Retired
- Irish War Cry Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Another Big Finish for McCraken in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Practical Joke Rewards Breeders' Faith in His Dam
- Thunder Snow Enters Quarantine at Churchill Downs
- Horseman Mike Johnson Knows a Good One in McCraken
- Wilkes Continues to Do Nafzger Proud
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Derby Museum to Become Home for Lukas Collection