Horses bred in Maryland and Virginia will be in the spotlight June 25 at Pimlico Race Course as part of a new venture between racing and breeding interests in the two states.
Horses bred in Maryland or sired by stallions in the state are coming out of the woodwork Aug. 22 at Laurel Park, where an 11-race program that includes four stakes has attracted 145 entries.
A few intriguing maidens are part of a full field of 12 entered for the $125,000 Maryland Juvenile Futurity Dec. 27 at Laurel Park.
After about a year of study and negotiating, Maryland will have a revised Thoroughbred breeding program beginning with the Laurel Park meet that kicks off Sept. 19.
The Maryland Horse Breeders Association Dec. 20 noted increased financial opportunities for state-bred winners because of a new racing agreement and projected increases in revenue from video lottery terminals.
The connections of Maryland-based Sweet Goodbye, who won the $250,000 Sugar Maple Stakes at Charles Town April 16, have a goal in mind: hitting the $1 million mark in earnings with the 6-year-old mare.
This year's Maryland Million, to be run Oct. 2 at Laurel Park, attracted 110 horses on an 11-race program highlighted by the $150,000 Maryland Million Classic at 1 1/8 miles.
Maryland horse racing needs improved marketing, quality facilities, and better racing, according to a report released Dec. 1 by the Maryland Horse Industry Board.
A total of 167 offspring of Maryland stallions have been pre-entered in the 11 races which comprise the 2003 Maryland Million Oct. 11 at Laurel Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Agent Ryan Not Surprised by Cloud Computing's Win
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Hips to Watch: Day 1 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Soul Stirring Frankel's First Classic Winner
- Preakness Wrapup: Clouds Got in the Way
- La Coronel Prepares for Royal Ascot Run
- Actress Announces Presence in Black-Eyed Susan
- Grizzel Edges Enstone in Selene Stakes