Robert Manfuso's homebred Taketheodds, with Mike Smith aboard, ran down front-running Flattering Bea at the wire to capture the $150,000 Sugar Maple Stakes at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races April 18.
Mark Russell's popular 8-year-old gelding Russell Road, who hadn't won since May, turned the tables on heavy favorite Lucy's Bob Boy to win the West Virginia Breeders' Classic Oct. 18 for the third time in his career.
The winners of the last three editions of the West Virginia Breeders' Classic Stakes will square off the evening of Oct. 18 when Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races hosts the feature and eight other state-bred stakes.
Lucy's Bob Boy looks to defend his crown on the night of Oct. 19 as he takes his spot in a full gate of 10 horses for the $500,000 West Virginia Breeders' Classic, headline event at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races.
Owner Mark Russell did some ducking and dodging with his 7-year-old gelding Russell Road at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort, and it paid off in an unusual way.
Russell Road will try to overcome a two-month layoff as he aims for his third victory in the West Virginia Breeders' Classic as the 2-1 morning line favorite on the night of Oct. 20 at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races.
Mark Russell's Russell Road, a millionaire West Virginia-bred, signaled he's ready for another campaign with a smashing victory in the $50,000 Confucius Say Stakes at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races Apri 14.
Mark Russell's Russell Road ran his record to eight-for-eight in West Virginia-bred stakes with a victory in the $51,100 A Heuvo Stakes at Charles Town Races & Slots Nov. 21.
Most Popular Stories
- Uncertainty as Delaware Drops Pletcher Case
- Seven to Face American Pharoah in Haskell
- American Pharoah Schools at Monmouth
- Beshear, Moses to Speak at Round Table
- CHRB Rejects Proposed Decision on Valenzuela
- Desormeaux Failed Breathalyzer at Del Mar
- Desormeaux Taken Off Mounts at Del Mar
- Lady Eli Showing Improvement From Laminitis
- Untapable Looks for Shuvee Relief
- First Winners for Pair of Louisiana Stallions