It has long been the tradition for starters in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I) to saddle on the turf course at Pimlico Race Course, but more than half of this year's field -- including morning-line favorite Rachel Alexandra and Pioneerof the Nile -- will be saddled indoors, Maryland Jockey Club paddock judge Mario Verge said May 15.
Mario Verge, who retired from riding during the Pimlico spring meet, has joined the Maryland Jockey Club racing office. The 39-year old won 2,118 races in his 23-year career for purses exceeding $31 million.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begins Belmont Training
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park
- Catch A Glimpse Has Homecoming in Nassau
- CHRB Approves Medication Conditions for Breeders' Cup
- Humane Society, PETA Support USADA Bill
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement