Guided through a hole along the inside by jockey Jose Espinoza, 8-year-old Country Be Gold halted a seven-race losing streak Sunday, holding off favored Aggadan for a three-quarters of a length victory in the $110,300 Aqueduct Handicap (gr. III) at odds of 22-1.
Sanford Goldfarb's Aggadan is the horse to beat when he faces eight rivals in Aqueduct's first graded stakes race of 2005, the $100,000 Aqueduct Handicap (gr. III) Sunday at 1 1/16 miles.
Frontrunner Zakocity saved ground all the way during his trip around the 1 1/8-mile Aqueduct main track and won the 60th running of the $110,100 Discovery Handicap (gr. III) for 3-year-olds on opening day Wednesday.
My Snookie's Boy, who spent most of the summer chasing Lion Heart in the Long Branch (gr. III) and Haskell Invitational (gr. I) at Monmouth, returns after a freshening for Wednesday's $100,000 Discovery Handicap (gr. III) at 1 1/8 miles for 3-year-olds, the season-opening stakes at Aqueduct.
B. Wayne Hughes' Teton Forest gave trainer Bob Baffert back-to-back graded stakes victories when he went gate-to-wire for an unchallenged six-length win in the $150,000 Jerome Handicap (gr. II) for 3-year-olds at sloppy Belmont Park Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- What's Going On Here: Most Charming
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Orb Colt Grew Up, Brought $685,000 at OBS