In hopes of slowing the track down a little, Del Mar added some wax to its Polytrack synthetic racing surface July 29 for the first time this year, track spokesman C.P. (Mac) McBride said.
Mac McBride tells his behind-the-scenes story of the 2009 Breeders' Cup Classic and Zenyatta. Read Blog
Racing's photo-finish camera was invented for and first used at Del Mar -- and as Thoroughbred fans know, there are photo finishes virtually every day at the track, some of them so tight the phrase "won by a whisker" is literally true.
C.P. (Mac) McBride has been named Del Mar Thoroughbred Club's director of media.
The California Coastal Commission has approved plans by Del Mar to replace its dirt surface with a synthetic Polytrack, track officials said.
- By Ray Paulick
Author William Murray, a writer whose series of popular mysteries featuring "Shifty" Lou Anderson blended racetrack characters, magic, and intrigue, died early Wednesday morning from an apparent heart attack at the age of 78.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Impresses at Santa Anita
- Far From Over Victorious in Return
- How a Sire Line Develops
- Phantom Dollars Flood Track's Double Pool
- Too Early to Gauge 'Brexit' Effect on Sales
- Fairplex, Santa Anita House Evacuated Horses
- Mohaymen Back to Work in New York
- Magee Clinches Training Title at Pimlico
- Exclusive Contest: Name the White-Headed Foal
- Weather Impacts Churchill June 23 Program