In hopes of slowing the track down a little, Del Mar added some wax to its Polytrack synthetic racing surface July 29 for the first time this year, track spokesman C.P. (Mac) McBride said.
Mac McBride tells his behind-the-scenes story of the 2009 Breeders' Cup Classic and Zenyatta. Read Blog
Racing's photo-finish camera was invented for and first used at Del Mar -- and as Thoroughbred fans know, there are photo finishes virtually every day at the track, some of them so tight the phrase "won by a whisker" is literally true.
C.P. (Mac) McBride has been named Del Mar Thoroughbred Club's director of media.
The California Coastal Commission has approved plans by Del Mar to replace its dirt surface with a synthetic Polytrack, track officials said.
- By Ray Paulick
Author William Murray, a writer whose series of popular mysteries featuring "Shifty" Lou Anderson blended racetrack characters, magic, and intrigue, died early Wednesday morning from an apparent heart attack at the age of 78.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Danzing Candy Wires Lone Star Handicap
- Ashleyluvssugar Wins Second Charles Whittingham
- Twisted Tom Works Toward Belmont Stakes
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Souper Tapit Gets Graded Score in Marine Stakes
- Galileo, Coolmore Dominate European Classics
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner