The first session of Keeneland's January horses of all ages sale registered improved gross and average compared with the first session last year as 201 horses sold for $15,331,400, up 10.04%. Average price improved 14.42%.
The first reported North American foal by graded stakes winner Indygo Shiner is a colt born Jan. 8 at Summer Wind Farm near Georgetown, Ky.
Onaga, dam of grade I winner Aragorn and this year's Fasig-Tipton Saratoga selected sale-topping yearling, was found dead Aug. 14 in Ireland.
- By Ron Mitchell
The Keeneland September yearling sale got off to a great start for Frank and Jane Lyon and their daughter, Karen, who operate Summer Wind Farm near Georgetown, Ky.
Peachtree Stable's India, who broke her maiden by 12 lengths in her second career start, has been sold to her breeders, Frank and Jane Lyon, owner of Summer Wind Farm near Georgetown, Ky., Peachtree owner John Fort said today.
Although only 20 will start, 22 horses were entered Wednesday for Saturday's Kentucky Derby (gr. I) at Churchill Downs.
Summer Wind Farm's Carols Folly, who achieved fame as the dam of two millionaires--Glitter Woman and Unbridled Elaine--was euthanized April 20 at Hagyard-Davidson-McGee veterinary clinic near Lexington.
Evil Elaine, dam of Horse of the Year Favorite Trick, was euthanized March 15 at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital near Lexington after foundering in both feet.
The third foal from the last crop of Seattle Slew was born the night of Jan. 30 at Summer Wind Farm
Making his turf racing debut Saturday while equipped with blinkers for the first time, Joseph Lacombe and Frank and Jane Lyon's Indygo Shiner earned a neck-length victory in the $282,500 Jefferson Cup (gr. IIIT) at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Named 2016 Longines World's Best Racehorse
- Smith Eagerly Awaits 'Chrome'-Arrogate Rematch
- Arrogate, California Chrome Meet Again in Pegasus
- Arrogate Celebrated as Longines World's Best Racehorse
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - January 24, 2017
- Lea Gets Bay Filly as First Foal
- Total of 418 3-year-olds Nominated to 2017 Triple Crown
- Behind Scenes of Arrogate’s World’s Best Ranking
- Pegasus Features Several Unique Conditions
- Champion Steeplechaser Rawnaq to Miss 2017 Season