Del Mar Thoroughbred Club will kick off its 75th summer racing season July 17 with a new racing secretary and veteran team of other racing officials for the 36-day meet that runs through Sept. 3.
Jockey Luis Jauregui, who fractured one of his lower vertebrae in a Jan. 26 racing accident, was discharged from Arcadia Methodist Hospital Jan. 30 after a four-day stay.
Jockey Luis Jauregui remained hospitalized Friday due to injuries incurred in an accident at the start of the eighth race Jan. 26 at Santa Anita.
In an effort to snap a two-game losing streak, the Santa Anita jockeys will put a new and improved lineup on the floor when they play Holy Angels School in their annual basketball game Feb. 26 at La Salle High School in Pasadena.
Tony Lovato, who has ridden with success in Texas and Louisiana, will try his hand at Santa Anita on a regular basis soon, according to his agent, Tommy Ball.
A little rain and a new approach to help retain moisture in the main track at Santa Anita Park seems to have addressed some gripes aired the week of Feb. 11 by jockeys about conditions at the Arcadia, Calif., facility.
Most Popular Stories
- Florida Derby Winner Materiality Dies
- Ectot Stuns Flintshire in Hirsch Turf Classic
- Bullet Train Gets First Stakes Winner
- Leading Jockey Gallardo Heads to New York
- Exaggerator to Rest at WinStar
- Live Racing at Meadowlands Cancelled Again
- Hill Specialist Ambitious Brew Takes Eddie D.
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Postponed Clear Favorite in Arc de Triomphe
- Quest For More Rallies From Last in Cadran