Jauregui, who has spent the vast majority of his 47 years at the racetrack, spends long hours at Del Mar to make it a safe place for horses and people.
Del Mar Thoroughbred Club will kick off its 75th summer racing season July 17 with a new racing secretary and veteran team of other racing officials for the 36-day meet that runs through Sept. 3.
Jockey Luis Jauregui, who fractured one of his lower vertebrae in a Jan. 26 racing accident, was discharged from Arcadia Methodist Hospital Jan. 30 after a four-day stay.
Jockey Luis Jauregui remained hospitalized Friday due to injuries incurred in an accident at the start of the eighth race Jan. 26 at Santa Anita.
In an effort to snap a two-game losing streak, the Santa Anita jockeys will put a new and improved lineup on the floor when they play Holy Angels School in their annual basketball game Feb. 26 at La Salle High School in Pasadena.
Tony Lovato, who has ridden with success in Texas and Louisiana, will try his hand at Santa Anita on a regular basis soon, according to his agent, Tommy Ball.
A little rain and a new approach to help retain moisture in the main track at Santa Anita Park seems to have addressed some gripes aired the week of Feb. 11 by jockeys about conditions at the Arcadia, Calif., facility.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- American Gal, Union Strike Meet in Starlet
- Retired Valet Ward Dies in Kentucky
- Resilient Humor Debut Winner for Sassy Image
- Trainer Brown Gearing Up for Gulfstream
- A Look Back at A.P. Indy's Hollywood Futurity
- Aqueduct Announcers Bring Youth, Experience
- Ferndale Racetrack OK After Earthquake
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field