New Orleans-based Turf writer Bob Fortus of the Times-Picayune to be inducted into the Press Box Hall of Fame at Fair Grounds Jan. 18.
Gran Estreno, a former claimer who registered his first graded stakes victory at Arlington Park last summer to cap a six-race winning streak, returns to his favorite track for the $100,000 Hanshin Cup Stakes (gr. III) May 29.
Louisiana racing fans are wondering if Recapturetheglory will live up to his name when he returns to competition in the Feb. 15 opener at Fair Grounds.
Recapturetheglory, a solid fifth in a 20-horse field in this year's Kentucky Derby (gr. I), seems well-placed for a return to his winning ways in the $750,000 West Virginia Derby (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort Aug. 2.
Darley Stable's Oratory peeled away from the field in upper stretch for a commanding stakes record victory in the $200,000 Peter Pan (gr. II) for 3-year-olds at Belmont Park Saturday.
Retired jockey Jimmy Nichols, who had a special knack with 2-year-olds, died the morning of Feb. 27 at a Fort Worth, Texas, hospital
Plans have been floated for two racetracks in Louisiana, but some legislators have asked the state racing commission not to issue any more licenses. They believe the plans are more about gaming than horse racing.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Under Agreement, Trainer Umarov Suspended Five Years
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - February 21, 2017
- Classic Empire, McCraken Individual Favorites in Pool 3
- Guest Suite Fires Bullet in Preparation for Risen Star
- Grade 2 Status Not Reinstated for Buena Vista