Scott Edward Ricker of Sunny Oaks Farm near Paris, Ky., died of cancer at the age of 59. Among the many Thoroughbreds foaled and raised at Sunny Oak was 1997 champion 2-year-old filly Countess Diana.
Dynazaper, winner of the Edgewood Stakes at Churchill most recently, heads a strong field of 3-year-old fillies in the Regret Stakes (gr. IIIT), including three starters from the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I).
Setsuko, whose runner-up effort in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) didn't earn him enough in graded stakes company to make the May 1 Kentucky Derby (gr. I), instead will contest the American Turf Stakes at CD April 30.
A well-matched group of nine 3-year-olds were entered for the $100,000 Transylvania Stakes (gr. IIIT), the featured race on opening day of the Keeneland Spring Meet April 2 in Lexington.
Fly by Phil, a 23-1 longshot making his stakes debut, got the graded stakes season off to a rousing start when he ran down odds-on favorite Lost Aptitude in the final jump to win the $100,000 Tropical Park Derby (gr. IIIT).
Becky's Kitten, who has never before raced at 1 1/8 miles, will attempt to follow in the footsteps of his sire, Kitten's Joy, with a win in the Jan. 1 Tropical Park Derby (gr. IIIT) at Calder Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Team Optimistic, Nyquist 'Full of Energy'
- Unlocking Winners Kentucky Derby 142 Analysis
- Repole Returns With Outwork for Uncle Mo
- Beholder to Make 2016 Debut in Adoration
- Nancy From Nairobi Wins Royal Heroine
- Big Blue Kitten Heads Woodford Turf Classic
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence