Dream Rush, caught by Looky Yonder in the stretch during the Vagrancy Handicap (gr. II) at Belmont May 25 at 4-5, figures to to be the one beat again Saturday in her second start off a layoff in the six-furlong Princess Rooney Handicap (gr. I) at Calder Race Course.
Calder Race Course posted entries July 7 for its July 12 Summit of Speed, a card with a quartet of six-furlong graded stakes that has become the highlight of the year at the South Florida track.
Looky Yonder took down Dream Rush in the May 25 Vagrancy Handicap (gr. II), but the 4-year-old daughter of Johannesburg will have to deal with a whole new set of tough customers in the $150,000 First Flight Handicap (gr. II) July 4 at Belmont, including Rite Moment, who has been nearly flawless this season.
Making her first start in seven months, multiple graded stakes winner Dream Rush broke on top, showed her typical blazing speed and seemingly had the $147,000 Vagrancy Handicap (gr. II) put away halfway through the 6 1/2-furlong test. But Looky Yonder recovered from her poor break and came flying up the rail under Garrett Gomez to catch the odds-on favorite in the final strides to win by a length May 25 on the Belmont Park dirt.
Four-time graded stakes winner Dream Rush has proven she is the one to beat in the $150,000 Vagrancy Handicap (gr. II) May 25 at Belmont Park, but the 4-year-old Wild Rush filly must answer one major question: how will she respond to a nearly seven-month layoff?
The Carl Nafzger-trained Lady Joanne heads a field of nine in the $150,000-added Dogwood Breeders' Cup (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies as Churchill Downs offers a stakes trio on its Saturday racing program.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah 'Just Cruising' in Workout
- Optimism High for Fasig-Tipton July Yearlings
- White Filly Beautiful Devil Carries Tradition
- Espinoza Tied in World's Best Jock Standings
- Horse Greeley Sold to Stand in Argentina
- Speedy Grade III Winner Chitu Retired
- Two 'Super Saturdays' for Belmont Fall Meet
- Kentucky Horsewoman Graves Dies at 61
- Keeneland Alters September Sale Format
- New York Coupled Entry Rules Modified