A thunderstorm forced the cancellation of the last race at Emerald Downs the evening of June 20, but did little to spoil the Washington track's 20th anniversary celebration.
Keith L. Stucki, trainer of Racing Hall of Fame member Ancient Title, one of the greatest California-breds of all-time, died at his home in Bradbury, Calif. April 5 at the age of 96.
As he prepares his longshot Bodhisattva for the May 16 Xpressbet.com Preakness Stakes (gr. I) at Pimlico Race Course, trainer Jose Corrales makes no apologies for the unusual name that is a tongue twister.
Bud Klokstad, a member of the Washington Racing Hall of Fame and trainer of 1983 Eclipse Award-winning sprinter Chinook Pass, dies at 79 at his home in Richmond, Calif.
Paul Frey, who rode 2,478 winners and captured riding titles at Longacres in 1964 and 1966, died of pneumonia Jan. 14 at Stanford Hospital in Palo Alto, Calif.
Craig Roberts, who trained Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I) winner Slew of Damascus, has died at age 78.
Washington-breds will be out in force Sept. 14 at Emerald Downs as the track features Washington Cup VI -- a series of seven races worth $350,000 in purses.
Northwestern jockey Sandi Gann announced her retirement Aug. 29. She is the first woman to win a riding title at Turf Paradise.
Gary Henson, a long-time track announcer, died Saturday night at his home in Renton, Wash., after a long illness. He was 60.
Following the spate of longshot winners of Kentucky Derby (gr. I) prep races this season, it might be a good idea to keep an eye on trainer Mike Puhich and That's an Outrage in Saturday's Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) at Keeneland.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Late Run Lifts Dacita to Victory in Diana
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Bitumen Rallies to Sanford Score
- Mokat Surges to San Clemente Victory
- Enola Gray Still Perfect After Del Mar Run
- Fair Eva First Stakes Winner for Frankel
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis