Danzing Candy was sent off as the 1-5 favorite in the five-horse field of the $200,000 Lone Star Handicap (G3), leading at every call in the 1 1/16-mile test and crossing the wire 4 3/4 lengths in front.
- By BloodHorse Staff
- Thoroughbred Racing, International, Midwest Region, Southwest Region, West Region, Kentucky
Consider this your weekly guide to the best stakes races in North America. This week a pair of grade 1 races at Santa Anita Park and graded stakes at six other racetracks.
Spendthrift Farm and Stonestreet Stables' Cyrus Alexander, a 4-year-old Medaglia d'Oro colt, got his first stakes win when he captured the $200,000 Lone Star Handicap (gr. III) for 3-year-olds and up May 30 at Lone Star Park.
Bloom Racing Stable's Majestic City made his trip from California to Texas worthwhile with a wire-to-wire victory in the $200,000 Lone Star Handicap at Lone Star Park May 25.
Winchell Thoroughbreds homebred Untapable, winner of last year's Longines Kentucky Oaks (gr. I), breezed five furlongs May 11, and on May 14 was shipped to Belmont Park to prepare for the Ogden Phipps Handicap.
Windy Hill Farm's Nate Mineshaft got back on the winning track with an easy front-end victory in the $300,000 Lone Star Handicap (gr. III) at Lone Star Park May 28.
Leading trainer Steve Asmussen could saddle three colts in the $400,000 Lone Star Park Handicap (gr. III) May 26, but even though the odds are in his favor, it still might not be enough to conquer Frank Stronach's Giant Gizmo, who enters the 1 1/16-mile test at the top of his game.
Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie's $400,000 Lone Star Derby (gr. III) highlights the Dallas-Fort Worth area racetrack's 2008 spring Thoroughbred season, which will feature 32 stakes events worth more than $3.5-million.
The Lone Star Derby (gr. III) has become Texas' richest graded stakes race, but it has dropped out of position as a prep race for the Kentucky Derby (gr. I). Lone Star Park's marquee race for three-year-olds will be run May 11 next year.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Street Surrender, Roman Secure First Stakes Win
- Lady Eli, Cloud Computing Among Workers for Brown
- Crawdaddy Two-For-Two After NYSS Score
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Collected Dominant Again in Precisionist Stakes
- Battle of Midway Cruises to Affirmed Victory
- Satono Crown Surges to Victory in Takarazuka Kinen