Caracortado took advantage of an all-out pace duel to come from far out of it, winning the $98,000 Daytona Stakes (gr. IIIT) on Santa Anita's hillside turf course with a remarkable late charge Jan. 8.
Caracortado, on the short end of the photo in a pair of grade I losses recently, came from behind to defeat Mr. Commons by a nose in a terrific finish to the $200,000 Del Mar Mile (gr. IIT) Aug. 27.
Caracortado, a grade II winner on Santa Anita's synthetic track last winter, proved equally at home on the lawn when he outlasted The Usual Q. T. to capture the $300,000 Sunshine Millions Turf by a half-length Jan. 29.
Caracortado, the California-bred gelding who won the first five races of his career including the Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. II), breezed three furlongs Sept. 21 at Hollywood Park in his first work since the Preakness.
California-bred gelding Caracortado knocked off a pair of highly-touted 3-year-olds and stayed unbeaten in five lifetime starts as he was much the best in the $150,000 Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. II) Feb. 13 at Santa Anita.
Most Popular Stories
- Curlin Colt Sells for $350,000 at F-T October
- Cinco Charlie to Spendthrift Farm
- Tapit Colt Late Withdrawal from F-T Sale
- Malibu Moon Filly Sells for $300,000 at F-T
- Inside the Magical Kingdom of Ballydoyle
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Harzand to Aga Khan’s Gilltown Stud
- VanMeter-Gentry Loaded at Fasig-Tipton Sale
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic