Caracortado took advantage of an all-out pace duel to come from far out of it, winning the $98,000 Daytona Stakes (gr. IIIT) on Santa Anita's hillside turf course with a remarkable late charge Jan. 8.
Caracortado, on the short end of the photo in a pair of grade I losses recently, came from behind to defeat Mr. Commons by a nose in a terrific finish to the $200,000 Del Mar Mile (gr. IIT) Aug. 27.
Caracortado, a grade II winner on Santa Anita's synthetic track last winter, proved equally at home on the lawn when he outlasted The Usual Q. T. to capture the $300,000 Sunshine Millions Turf by a half-length Jan. 29.
Caracortado, the California-bred gelding who won the first five races of his career including the Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. II), breezed three furlongs Sept. 21 at Hollywood Park in his first work since the Preakness.
California-bred gelding Caracortado knocked off a pair of highly-touted 3-year-olds and stayed unbeaten in five lifetime starts as he was much the best in the $150,000 Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. II) Feb. 13 at Santa Anita.
Most Popular Stories
- Fracture Knocks Far From Over Off Derby Trail
- Korean Stallion Sharp Humor Dies in Accident
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 31, 2015
- Terranovas Seek Derby Success With El Kabeir
- Live Chat - Friday, April 3 at NOON EDT
- Sherman: Ascot Could Be Rough on 'Chrome'
- Live Video: Fasig-Tipton Texas Sale
- U.S. Alleges Conspiracy at Penn National
- Keeneland Plans Wide Live Broadcast Coverage
- California Chrome Headed to Royal Ascot