Grade II winner Live Lively, a 3-year-old Medaglia d'Oro filly owned by Lee Lewis, was euthanized May 4 after suffering fractures to both sesamoids in her left foreleg during a morning work at Belmont Park.
Stonestreet Stables' homebred Dreaming of Julia left her connections dreaming of victory in the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) when she devastated the $300,000 Gulfstream Oaks (gr. II) March 30 at Gulfstream Park by 21 3/4 lengths.
She couldn't catch Live Lively in her seasonal debut five weeks earlier, but Dreaming of Julia figures to be much tighter for their next engagement in the $300,000 Gulfstream Park Oaks (gr. II) March 30 at Gulfstream Park.
Live Lively, expected to be one of the favorites for the $300,000 Gulfstream Park Oaks (gr. II) following two impressive wins at the meet, breezed a half-mile in :49.78 on the morning of March 24 at Palm Meadows.
A total of 134 fillies, led by champion Beholder, have been nominated to Keeneland's $500,000 Central Bank Ashland Stakes (gr. I), scheduled for Saturday, April 6.
Live Lively got the jump on odds-on choice Dreaming of Julia in the $245,000 Davona Dale (gr. II) and never looked back while registering a front-running 1 1/2-length victory in her stakes debut Feb. 23 at Gulfstream Park.
In terms of previous accomplishments, grade I winner Dreaming of Julia towers over entries in the $250,000 Davona Dale Stakes (gr. II) Feb. 23 at Gulfstream Park, but several fillies who have flashed brilliance await.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot