Far From Over stems from one of the most prolific branches of the Betty Derr family, that of his fourth dam, the 1983 Kentucky Broodmare of the Year, Courtly Dee.
Often the best winner by a sire is the result of what appears to be a very deliberately and cleverly constructed pedigree.
Liable, the dam of 2010 Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) winner and champion Blame, has been named Broodmare of the Year by the Kentucky Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association.
Claiborne homebred Blame descends from a historic family associated with the farm for nearly 60 years.
Blame closed relentlessly through the lane to nab front-running Quality Road just before the wire Aug. 7 in a thrilling Whitney Invitational Handicap (gr. I) at Saratoga.
The only thing Blame needed to officially become a star was a grade I win. The son of Arch accomplished that June 12, overcoming a wide trip while running down pacesetter Battle Plan to score the Stephen Foster Handicap.
Adele Dilschneider and Claiborne Farm's Blame gave notice of his intentions in the older horse ranks for 2010 with a sterling victory in the $100,000 William Donald Schaefer Stakes (gr. III) in his first start of the year.
Three-year-old Blame ensconced himself as a leading player in next year's national handicap picture when he seized the lead from fellow sophomore Misremembered at the eighth pole and held on for a neck victory in the $460,600 Clark Handicap Presented by Norton Healthcare (gr. II) at Churchill Downs Nov. 27.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Headed to Dubai World Cup
- Five Share Fastest Time in Fasig-Tipton Sale Works
- Conquest Mo Money Still Undefeated, Sunland Derby Next
- Finger Lakes Horsemen Agree to Deal to Keep Track Open
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Finger Lakes Season Could be on Line at Feb. 27 Meeting
- Prominent Ohio Breeder George Smith Dies at 84
- Unique Bella Tops Roster of 109 Kentucky Oaks Nominees