Grade I winner Ultimate Eagle, injured in the Donn Handicap (gr. I) in February, has been retired from racing and will begin his stallion career at Special T Thoroughbreds in Temecula, Calif.
The synergy of the Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) weekend coupled with the kick-off of the national schedule of 2-year-old auctions positions the Barretts March sale well for a good showing.
Ultimate Eagle, a grade I winner on turf making his first start on dirt, won for fun in the $200,000 Strub Stakes (gr. II) at odds of 7-1 Feb. 4 at Santa Anita.
Owner B.J. Wright and trainer Michael Pender capped their superb Turf Festival at Hollywood Park when front-running Ultimate Eagle employed thievery to win the $250,000 Hollywood Derby (gr. IT) at odds of 14-1 Nov. 27.
Ultimate Eagle, staked to an early lead by Martin Pedroza at odds of 34-1, avoided the calvary charge in the 14-horse Oak Tree Derby (gr. IIT) and held on to post a major upset in the $150,000 grass test at Santa Anita.
Miss Bridget Jones dueled with favored Letithappencaptain into the stretch and drew away to a three-length victory in Saturday's $150,000 Stonerside Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at Lone Star Park.
Letithappencaptain, who already has one stakes win at the Lone Star meeting, was installed as the 3-1 morning line favorite for Saturday's $150,000 Stonerside Stakes at Lone Star Park.
Letithappencaptain scored her first stakes win in the inaugural $100,000 Sarah Lane's Oates Handicap on a yielding turf course Saturday at Fair Grounds.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Wraps up Serious Derby Preparations
- Mohaymen Sitting on Go for Kentucky Derby
- Busy Work Tab at Churchill for Derby Horses
- Olorda Front-Running Winner of Bewitch
- Lady Shipman Returns to U.S. In License Fee
- Outwork, Destin Turn in Final Derby Breezes
- Maiden Trojan Nation Seeks Derby Upset
- Le Havre colt a Guineas sale pinhook coup
- Laoban Works Toward Preakness ... or Derby
- First Winner for Empire Way