New NYRA chairman owns company that allegedly gave a lucrative no-show job to the son of a former state Senate majority leader who is fighting federal corruption charges.
Lesser-known horses can take their first major steps towards Derby contention with a goood showing at Gulfstream Saturday.
Crossbow will get a chance to put his sprinting ability to the test Feb. 26 when he faces a tough field in the $150,000 Hutcheson (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park.
The withdrawal of Boys At Tosconova leaves a wide open field of nine sophomores to contest the $400,000 Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park Jan. 30, the first major step toward the Florida Derby (gr. I) this spring.
Making his first start away from his home base of Calder, Determinato surprised a good field in Gulfstream Park's first male 3-year-old stakes of the meet, winning the $100,000 Spectacular Bid Stakes by 1 1/4 lengths Jan. 8.
Morning Line, who last came into his own during the second half of his 3-year-old campaign and is expected to be one of the top older horses in 2011, makes his season debut in the Hal's Hope Stakes Jan. 8 at Gulfstream.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Blazes to Travers Record
- Drefong Gallops Home to King's Bishop Score
- Flintshire Dominant Again in Sword Dancer
- A. P. Indian Gets Second Grade I in Forego
- Nyquist Begins Work for Pennsylvania Derby
- Cavorting on Top in Personal Ensign
- Haveyougoneaway Surges to Ballerina Win
- Love the Chase to Sell at F-T November
- Jim Rome Remembers Shared Belief
- Dialed In Colt Reckling Graduates at Saratoga