On his 46th birthday, Steve Asmussen became the fifth trainer in history to record 6,000 wins when Basalt won the first race at Remington Park Nov. 18.
The jockey and trainer title chases for the Belmont Park spring/summer meet came down to the final two races on closing day, July 17, with Ramon Dominguez holding off a challenge by Javier Castellano to be leading jockey.
Jeff Runco became the 24th trainer in North American history to notch 3,000 wins in a career when Sweet Halucination won the fifth race at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races on April 23 by 8 1/2 lengths.
Trainer Scott Lake has begun serving a 30-day suspension after a Delaware Superior Court denied his appeal of the ruling handed down by Delaware Park Thoroughbred Racing Commission in June.
Jockey Jerry Bailey and trainer Bobby Frankel are within range of setting single-season records for their respective divisions.
Trainer Bobby Frankel holds a slight lead over Bob Baffert among North American trainers on the earnings list through Sept. 25, according to Equibase statistics available at bloodhorse.com.
Trainer Scott A. Lake is the leading North American trainer by win and win-place-show percentages when compared with the other leading conditioners on the earnings list.
(As of Aug. 28, 2000)
Most Popular Stories
- Gun Runner Likely Out of Pegasus World Cup
- Semper Fortis Takes Ralis' Spot in Pegasus World Cup
- Keen Ice to Calumet Upon Retirement
- California Chrome Again Horse of the Year
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- Tepin Gets Serious in Latest Work
- Suddenbreakingnews Set to Return at Oaklawn
- Shaman Ghost Works Bullet in Pegasus Prep
- Sherman Staying in the Moment With California Chrome
- OBS to Offer Experienced Racehorses, Yearlings, Mares