History repeated itself in a big way for Frank Stronach. For the second time in his career, the Austrian native earned an Eclipse Award as both outstanding breeder and top owner in the same year. In 2008, his Adena Springs was named best breeder, and his Stronach Stables was chosen top owner.
HRTV's "Inside Information" featuring owner Maggi Moss and jockey Joe Talamo.
Success in sports sometimes can come quickly or take a long time. Richard A. Englander acquired his first horse by way of a claim in the fall of 1998 and didn't stop there. In 1999, his runners topped the $1.2-million mark in earnings while making 407 starts.
In three short years, Richard Englander has carved his name alongside Thoroughbred racing's elite list of owners. He has done it not by purchasing blue-blood stock for seven figures at public auction, but by setting up racing stables from coast to coast and employing nine different trainers in as many states, and claiming his way to the top.
Frank Stronach has been viewed as everything from a maverick to a bit of a tyrant in North American racing circles this past year. Just about the only place Stronach wasn't looked upon as a rogue was on the track, where even his harshest critics couldn't fault his success. From January to December, 764 starters wearing the familiar black silks with the red and gold Adena Springs Farm logo won 163 races and earned $11,198,225, giving him his third consecutive leading owner title by money won. Stronach topped the leading owner list in 1999 with $6,221,147. In 1998, he stopped a three-year streak by the late Allen Paulson with $7,221,416 in earnings.
Most Popular Stories
- Fracture Knocks Far From Over Off Derby Trail
- Live Chat - Friday, April 3 at NOON EDT
- Terranovas Seek Derby Success With El Kabeir
- Sherman: Ascot Could Be Rough on 'Chrome'
- U.S. Alleges Conspiracy at Penn National
- Keeneland Plans Wide Live Broadcast Coverage
- California Chrome Headed to Royal Ascot
- ROAP Seeks Regulation of 'Program Trainers'
- El Kabeir Fires Bullet Work at Belmont
- Luck of the Kitten Starts '15 in Transylvania