Cape Blanco shipped across the pond from Ireland for third time to collect a grade I victory, barely outlasting a determined Dean's Kitten by a nose in the $500,000 Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational (gr. IT) Oct. 1.
A yielding turf was just fine with favored Cape Blanco, who registered his second straight grade I score on North American turf in style for Irish trainer Aidan O'Brien in the Arlington Million (gr. IT) Aug. 13.
Cape Blanco took the lead from the start and never looked back, pulling away in the stretch to capture the Tattersalls Millions Irish Champion Stakes (Ire-I) by 5 1/2 lengths at Leopardstown Sept. 4.
Aidan O'Brien-trained runners finished one-two-three as Cape Blanco held off stablemate Midas Touch by a half-length to capture the Dubai Duty Free Irish Derby (Ire-I) at the Curragh June 27.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- 'Power' Pair Square Off in July Cup
- Kentucky Horses Lose a Friend in Vet Byars
- 'Princess' Looks Tough in Delaware Handicap
- 95% Clearance Rate on Day 2 at Tattersalls
- Social Inclusion Breezes for Haskell
- Isabella Sings First Winner for Eskendereya
- Boston and Suffolk Downs Begin Planning
- Paladin Bay Seeks to Tame Bison City Stakes
- Del Mar's Paddock Sale to be Held July 20