Cape Blanco shipped across the pond from Ireland for third time to collect a grade I victory, barely outlasting a determined Dean's Kitten by a nose in the $500,000 Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational (gr. IT) Oct. 1.
A yielding turf was just fine with favored Cape Blanco, who registered his second straight grade I score on North American turf in style for Irish trainer Aidan O'Brien in the Arlington Million (gr. IT) Aug. 13.
Cape Blanco took the lead from the start and never looked back, pulling away in the stretch to capture the Tattersalls Millions Irish Champion Stakes (Ire-I) by 5 1/2 lengths at Leopardstown Sept. 4.
Aidan O'Brien-trained runners finished one-two-three as Cape Blanco held off stablemate Midas Touch by a half-length to capture the Dubai Duty Free Irish Derby (Ire-I) at the Curragh June 27.
Most Popular Stories
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Archarcharch, Tizway to South Korea
- Mott Set for Queen's Plate Debut With Channel Maker
- Obituary: Jack Arterburn Spent Life in Racing
- Fasig-Tipton Horses of Racing Age Sale Offers Diversity
- Supreme Court to Consider N.J. Sports Gambling Case
- Copper Bullet Out to Build Reputation in Bashford Manor
- Hong Kong Announces Awards Finalists
- Three Trustees Named to National Museum Board