Lang Field and Daytona, both surprise grade I winners on the turf during the recently concluded Hollywood Park autumn stand, square off in the $150,000 San Gabriel Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita Park Dec. 30.
The outsider Lang Field produced his first stakes win with an 18-1 upset by a neck over favored Zann in the $400,000 Citation Handicap (gr. IT) on the Hollywood Park turf on Nov. 23.
Grade I winner Buzzards Bay heads the line-up for the $150,000 All American Stakes (gr. III) Nov. 17, Golden Gate Field's first graded stakes event on its new Tapeta Footings main track.
Any time a racehorse is able to put, 'defeated The Tin Man' on its resume, it is an impressive item. The Brazilian-bred Out of Control is the only one in the $400,000 Breeders' Cup Del Mar Mile Handicap (gr. IIT) field of nine that can make that distinction, making the 4-year-old colt the one to beat Aug. 19 on the turf.
The venerable 9-year-old gelding The Tin Man swings for his fifth successive win and his unprecedented third victory in the $250,000 American Invitational Handicap (gr. IIT) when he takes on six rivals Saturday on the turf at Hollywood Park.
California legend Lava Man will seek to maintain his status as the West Coast's dominant older runner in the $300,000 Charles Whittingham Memorial Handicap (gr. I) at Hollywood Park on Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Zenyatta Bred to Medaglia d'Oro
- Mor Spirit Move Pleases Baffert, Stevens
- Creator Turns in Final Kentucky Derby Breeze
- Gun Runner Wraps Up Major Pre-Derby Work
- California Chrome Arrives at Los Alamitos
- Breeder Lucy Bassett Dies at 87
- Asmussen Breezes Four Oaks Hopefuls
- Nyquist Top 3YO in Final Pre-Derby NTRA Poll
- Ohio Steps Up in American Stakes
- Hermann Named Golden Gate Announcer