Lager, a former claiming horse, will attempt to win his third graded stakes of the year in the $75,000 Queens County Handicap (gr. III) Saturday at Aqueduct.
Even-money favorite Pleasant Breeze, left alone on an easy lead by his six rivals in the $283,000 Saratoga Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) Sunday at Saratoga, repulsed J.R. Holmes' challenge and drew off through the stretch to a 2 3/4-length victory. After the win, though, Pleasant Breeze was vanned off the track.
John Moore's Lager and William Clifton Jr.'s Pleasant Breeze, both by Pleasant Tap, head a field of seven evenly matched older horses entered in Sunday's Saratoga feature, the $300,000 Saratoga Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II).
Jeanne Vance's Lemon Drop Kid confirmed his status as one of the leaders of the handicap division and surpassed the $2-million mark in career earnings with a 2 1/2-length win over Behrens in the $500,000 Suburban Handicap (gr. II) Tuesday at Belmont Park.
Lemon Drop Kid worked five furlongs Thursday at Belmont Park in preparation for Tuesday's Suburban Handicap.
Most Popular Stories
- Calumet Farm: The Rebirth of a Legend
- Two Derby Hopefuls Boast Derby-Winning Sires
- Dortmund Runs Easy in Final Derby Drill
- Mubtaahij in 'Missed Work' at Arlington
- StarLadies On Oaks Trail With Eskenformoney
- No Catching Cinco Charlie in William Walker
- Carpe Diem Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Effinex Wins Excelsior, Wicked Strong Third
- Longshot Si Sage Stuns Field in Last Tycoon
- Longshot Rerun Marches to Miami Mile Score