Lager, a former claiming horse, will attempt to win his third graded stakes of the year in the $75,000 Queens County Handicap (gr. III) Saturday at Aqueduct.
Even-money favorite Pleasant Breeze, left alone on an easy lead by his six rivals in the $283,000 Saratoga Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) Sunday at Saratoga, repulsed J.R. Holmes' challenge and drew off through the stretch to a 2 3/4-length victory. After the win, though, Pleasant Breeze was vanned off the track.
John Moore's Lager and William Clifton Jr.'s Pleasant Breeze, both by Pleasant Tap, head a field of seven evenly matched older horses entered in Sunday's Saratoga feature, the $300,000 Saratoga Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II).
Jeanne Vance's Lemon Drop Kid confirmed his status as one of the leaders of the handicap division and surpassed the $2-million mark in career earnings with a 2 1/2-length win over Behrens in the $500,000 Suburban Handicap (gr. II) Tuesday at Belmont Park.
Lemon Drop Kid worked five furlongs Thursday at Belmont Park in preparation for Tuesday's Suburban Handicap.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Orb Colt Grew Up, Brought $685,000 at OBS
- Creative Cause Filly Sells for $575,000