Direct Line, battling West Hope all the way around, got up by a nose at the wire to win the $100,000 Gardenia Handicap (gr. III) in an 11-1 surprise at Ellis Park Aug. 14.
Godolphin Racing's Flashing, a winner of four of six starts this season including the grade I Test Stakes, has a clear edge over a full field of 3-year-old fillies in the $300,000 Lexus Raven Run (gr. II) Oct. 24 at Keeneland.
Like her other five rivals, Marylou Whitney's Tweeter never had a chance when super filly Rachel Alexandra rolled to a record-setting 20 1/4-length victory in the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) May 1 at Churchill Downs. Tweeter, who finished 51 lengths back of the winner, should be more evenly matched this time when taking on mere mortals in the $100,000-added Dogwood Stakes (gr. III), a test for 3-year-old fillies May 30 in Louisville.
Four Gifts scored the second graded victory of her career with a late charge from the outside in the $113,300 Eight Belles Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Frosted Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Beholder Blazes in Breeders' Cup Drill
- 'Stubborn' Runhappy Works a Mile at Keeneland
- Court Rules Borells Have No Claim on Horses
- Report: Dips in Stallion, Mares-Bred Numbers
- Songbird Works Fast and Easy at Santa Anita
- Malibu Moon Filly Tops F-T Pinhook Prospects
- A Look Back: Showdown in the 1986 Marlboro
- Yearling Sale Season Ends With F-T October
- Breeders' Cup Decision Looms for Frosted