Stuart Janney III and Phipps Stable's Orb stormed to the lead in mid-stretch to win the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) May 4. The 5-1 favorite gave Hall of Fame trainer Shug McGaughey his first Derby win.
Orb carries seven generations of equine blood cultivated by the families of Stuart Janney III and Ogden Mills Phipps, and a long association of those families with trainer Shug McGaughey.
Trainer Shug McGaughey said he was waiting for Orb to take him to Louisville, and the Hall of Fame conditioner should be on his way with the colt's big win in the $1 million Besilu Stables Florida Derby (gr. I) March 30.
Orb is a modern representative of a long and happy association between the Janneys and the Phipps family.
Fast-improving Orb was golden in his stakes debut for trainer Shug McGaughey in the $400,000 Besilu Stables Fountain of Youth (gr. II), coming from off the pace to run down odds-on choice Violence for a narrow win Feb. 23.
Breeders' Cup Limited, along with the National Thoroughbred Racing Association, has released the official event logo for the 22nd Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships, to be held Oct. 29 at Belmont Park in Elmont, N.Y.
The long-striding filly Humaita got into gear in mid-stretch to edge 9-10 favorite Where We Left Off by a half-length in the first division of the $110,400 first division of the Glens Falls Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares at Saratoga Race Course Sunday.
Wednesday's $100,000-added Bewitch (gr. III) features an overflow field of well-matched fillies and mares set to compete over 1 1/2 miles on Keeneland's turf course.
Most Popular Stories
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Churchill Considers Historic Gaming Machines
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill