Lady Joanne, with John McKee in the irons, challenged heavily favored Change Up on the backstretch and dueled with that rival into deep stretch before she pulled away to score a 1 1/4-length victory in the 63rd-running of the $224,600, grade II Golden Rod for 2-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs.
Saturday's $200,000-added Golden Rod Stakes (gr. II) for 2-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs will pit father against son as veteran trainer Bernie Flint will saddle Mike Rutherford's Cohiba Miss in a bid to upset Richard, Elaine, and Bert Klein's Change Up, trained by his son, Steve.
Most Popular Stories
- Pensioned Top Maryland Sire Not For Love Dies
- Second Saratoga Group Sounds Off on NYRA Plan
- Santa Anita Pick 6 Pays Over $1.47 Million
- Ride On Curlin to Florida's Pleasant Acres
- Purses Enhanced for 2016 Ellis Park Meet
- Swipe at Belmont Preparing for His Return
- Stahlbaum Wins Avelino Gomez Award
- Illuminant Upsets Wekeela in Gamely Stakes
- Creator Works, Set for Trip to New York
- Suddenbreakingnews Now 'Official Ridgling'