Lady Joanne, with John McKee in the irons, challenged heavily favored Change Up on the backstretch and dueled with that rival into deep stretch before she pulled away to score a 1 1/4-length victory in the 63rd-running of the $224,600, grade II Golden Rod for 2-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs.
Saturday's $200,000-added Golden Rod Stakes (gr. II) for 2-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs will pit father against son as veteran trainer Bernie Flint will saddle Mike Rutherford's Cohiba Miss in a bid to upset Richard, Elaine, and Bert Klein's Change Up, trained by his son, Steve.
Most Popular Stories
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Curlin's Approval Stretches Out Handily in Royal Delta
- Wild At Heart Makes Short Work of Buena Vista
- High Ridge Road Closes to Win Barbara Fritchie
- Miss Temple City, Lady Eli Put in First Works of 2017
- Imperial Hint Makes the Grade in General George
- Gunnevera, Three Rules Work toward Fountain of Youth