Lady Joanne, with John McKee in the irons, challenged heavily favored Change Up on the backstretch and dueled with that rival into deep stretch before she pulled away to score a 1 1/4-length victory in the 63rd-running of the $224,600, grade II Golden Rod for 2-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs.
Saturday's $200,000-added Golden Rod Stakes (gr. II) for 2-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs will pit father against son as veteran trainer Bernie Flint will saddle Mike Rutherford's Cohiba Miss in a bid to upset Richard, Elaine, and Bert Klein's Change Up, trained by his son, Steve.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident