Lady Joanne, with John McKee in the irons, challenged heavily favored Change Up on the backstretch and dueled with that rival into deep stretch before she pulled away to score a 1 1/4-length victory in the 63rd-running of the $224,600, grade II Golden Rod for 2-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs.
Saturday's $200,000-added Golden Rod Stakes (gr. II) for 2-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs will pit father against son as veteran trainer Bernie Flint will saddle Mike Rutherford's Cohiba Miss in a bid to upset Richard, Elaine, and Bert Klein's Change Up, trained by his son, Steve.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Fresh Horses Plentiful in 2016 Kentucky Derby
- Ramseys Go It Alone with Oscar Nominated
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Full Gate for Pat Day Mile
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby
- Gryder Seeks First Derby With Trojan Nation
- Nyquist Jogs, Schools at Churchill Downs