Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert won his first spring/summer meet title at Hollywood Park with 36 wins at the just-concluded stand.
A decline in average daily handle ontrack and overall was caused by a low horse inventory. Average ontrack attendance remained steady with 2010 for the winter/spring meet.
Hollywood Park concluded its 57-day spring meet July 18 with a 10.4% average decline in attendance and a 10.3% drop in average daily wagering.
Overall daily average handle for the 78-day Santa Anita meeting declined 11% as its 75th winter-spring stand came to an end on April 18, the Arcadia track reported.
Mr Napper Tandy, a 5-year-old with a fondness for running second, finally had his moment in the winner's circle when he scored by a head in the $300,000 San Francisco Mile (gr. IIT) with a perfectly timed ride from jockey Julio Garcia April 25 at Golden Gate Fields.
Soul City Slew, who had run for a $50,000 claiming tag in March, pulled off an upset in the $126,000 Potrero Grande Handicap (gr. II) April 4 at Santa Anita Park in California, defeating favored Halo Najib by a half-length. It was the first stakes win of any kind for Soul City Slew, who had shown flashes of promise previously when he had finished third in both the 2007 Pat O'Brien Handicap (gr. II) and the 2008 San Carlos Handicap (gr. II).
Pure as Gold, claimed for $100,000 in his last start, paid an immediate dividend for owner La Canada Stables and trainer Jack Carava when he upset the field in Sunday's $300,000 Bing Crosby Handicap (gr. I) at Del Mar.
Most Popular Stories
- Jaramillo Named to Ride Majesto in Derby
- Ben's Cat Victorious in Return at Laurel
- Nyquist Gets First Look at Churchill Downs
- Lady Shipman Easy Winner in Belmont Return
- Nyquist Another Big Score for Dennis O'Neill
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- A Derby Rookie's First Churchill Morning
- Minding Leads Sweep in One Thousand Guineas
- Nyquist Ships to Churchill Day After Work
- Uncle Lino Game in California Chrome Stakes