With Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) winner Summerly out of Saturday's $150,000 Dogwood Breeders' Cup (gr. III) at Churchill Downs, Runway Model takes over the favorite's role in a field of nine 3-year-old fillies.
The Derby/Oaks weekend of stakes competition at Churchill Downs kicks off on Thursday with the $100,000-added La Troienne (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies and the $100,000-added Mamzelle Stakes on the turf.
Two-year-old filly Runway Model captured her second grade II stakes of the season with a three-length victory in the $215,400 Golden Rod at cloudy Churchill Downs Saturday.
Favored Punch Appeal didn't have the easiest of trips for jockey Pat Day, but she was not to be denied in winning the $109,500 Pocahontas for 2-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs by a nose.
Veteran trainer Robert Holthus hopes to continue a terrific run with 2-year-olds when he saddles major contenders on Saturday at Churchill Downs in each of the day's stakes races for juveniles.
Locally based runners bettered the shippers in a pair of grade III stakes for 2-year-olds on the closing day program at Arlington Park Sunday as Three Hour Nap won the $200,000 Arlington-Washington Breeders' Cup Futurity and Culinary captured top honors in the $100,000 Arlington-Washington Lassie.
A pair of grade III stakes for 2-year-olds--the $200,000 Arlington-Washington Breeders' Cup Futurity and the $100,000 Arlington-Washington Lassie--will bring the curtain down on the Arlington Park meet Sept. 19. Six colts are entered in the Futurity, and nine fillies in the Lassie.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- NY Regulators Tighten Underage Gambling Rules
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Colt is First Winner for Maclean's Music
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Beam Appointed to Ohio Fund Advisory Panel