With Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) winner Summerly out of Saturday's $150,000 Dogwood Breeders' Cup (gr. III) at Churchill Downs, Runway Model takes over the favorite's role in a field of nine 3-year-old fillies.
The Derby/Oaks weekend of stakes competition at Churchill Downs kicks off on Thursday with the $100,000-added La Troienne (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies and the $100,000-added Mamzelle Stakes on the turf.
Two-year-old filly Runway Model captured her second grade II stakes of the season with a three-length victory in the $215,400 Golden Rod at cloudy Churchill Downs Saturday.
Favored Punch Appeal didn't have the easiest of trips for jockey Pat Day, but she was not to be denied in winning the $109,500 Pocahontas for 2-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs by a nose.
Veteran trainer Robert Holthus hopes to continue a terrific run with 2-year-olds when he saddles major contenders on Saturday at Churchill Downs in each of the day's stakes races for juveniles.
Locally based runners bettered the shippers in a pair of grade III stakes for 2-year-olds on the closing day program at Arlington Park Sunday as Three Hour Nap won the $200,000 Arlington-Washington Breeders' Cup Futurity and Culinary captured top honors in the $100,000 Arlington-Washington Lassie.
A pair of grade III stakes for 2-year-olds--the $200,000 Arlington-Washington Breeders' Cup Futurity and the $100,000 Arlington-Washington Lassie--will bring the curtain down on the Arlington Park meet Sept. 19. Six colts are entered in the Futurity, and nine fillies in the Lassie.
Most Popular Stories
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Marialite Upsets Favorites at Hanshin
- Sheer Drama On Fence for 'Summit of Speed'
- Minding Coasts Clear in Pretty Polly
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Lord Nelson Lunges to Triple Bend Score
- Un Autre First Winner for I'll Have Another
- Europeans Set for Belmont Derby, Oaks
- Nyquist Logs Easy Afternoon Workout