Kosta Hronis said Stellar Wind will have to do "something special" if she is going to top 13 other 3-year-old fillies May 1 in the Longines Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) at Churchill Downs.
With a pair of grade I victories under her belt, a track she likes, and early or tactical speed her rivals must contend with, Hronis Racing's Iotapa looms a threat in this year's $2 million Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I).
Favored Vagabond Shoes uncoiled a torrid outside rally and powered clear to win the $200,000 San Marcos Stakes (gr. IIT) Feb. 8 on the turf course at Santa Anita Park.
Favored Vagabond Shoes, circling the field under Victor Espinoza, reached the lead in deep stretch to edge Lucayan by a neck in the $200,000 Del Mar Handicap (gr. IIT) Aug. 24 on the turf.
The Arcadia, Calif., track received final handle figures for its winter-spring meeting April 25. Handle improved 3% to $710,813,700. That increase came during a first quarter that saw U.S. handle decline 2.81%.
- By Tracy Gantz
Lady of Shamrock takes the Hronis brothers to the top read blog
Jockey Mike Smith gambled at the rail with favored Lady of Shamrock and it paid off with a convincing victory in the $350,000 American Oaks (gr. IT) on the turf July 14 at Betfair Hollywood Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Preakness Could Be Rematch for Derby Top 3
- Favored American Pharoah Wins Kentucky Derby
- Xpressbet to Sponsor 2015 Preakness Stakes
- Ness Aiming for Ninth Straight Tampa Title
- Baffert: Derby Win 'Was a Big Sigh of Relief'
- Derby Overnight Rating Highest Since 1992
- Medaglia d'Oro Weanling Tops Inglis Sale
- Spanish Queen Unmatched in Honeymoon Victory
- International Star Scratched from the Derby
- Lovely Maria Easily Captures Kentucky Oaks