Despite having one of the highest starters per race averages in the country, Hawthorne's betting declined across the board during the fall meet that began Sept. 15 and ended Dec. 31.
The 7-year-old Crafty Shaw, who surpassed the $1-million mark in career earnings late last year, makes his seasonal debut as 119-pound highweight Saturday in the Hanshin Cup Handicap (gr. III) at Arlington Park.
Full race fields helped handle figures stay on par during the fall Thoroughbred meet at Hawthorne racecourse that ended Sunday.
Irisheyesareflying, a multiple graded stakes winner who earned $715,036, will enter stud at Joe and Sharon Kirby's Key Ranch near Salado, Texas.
The 96-day, 2004 Arlington Park race meet concluded Sunday with a 6% increase in average daily attendance and a 2.6% rise in overall wagering compared to the corresponding daily averages for the 104-day meet in 2003.
Bare Necessities, the starting highweight at 119 pounds, will be favored in Sunday's $300,000 Molly Pitcher Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares at Monmouth Park, but she will not have an easy time of it.
The historic Twin Spires of Churchill Downs and the image of Thoroughbreds racing toward the finish line will adorn a Kentucky-based NASCAR Busch Series car that is scheduled to compete in the Meijer 300 on Saturday, June 19 at Kentucky Speedway in Sparta, Ky.
Most Popular Stories
- Benzel to Handle de Sousa's Book in NY
- Dortmund Back to Training After Injury
- Promising Youth on Display in Futurity
- Half Sisters to Preakness Winners Race Sunday
- American Pharoah to Continue Racing
- KY Downs Ready for Meet With Record Purses
- Ben's Cat Still After Third Turf Monster Win
- Pedigree Analysis: Caro
- CHRB Committee Advances New Lasix Proposal
- Dialed In Colt Leads Louisiana Yearling Sale