With buyers showing strong interest in young mares, grade I winner Star Billing was purchased for $2.6 million by Greg Goodman in the second session of the Keeneland November breeding stock sale Nov. 6.
Bridlewood Farm stallion Black Mambo was euthanized Dec. 9 after suffering from a severe case of EPM.
Smart Surprise, a leading contender for Canadian champion older mare, has been retired from racing, according to John Sikura's Hill n' Dale Farms.
Grand Jewel, who stood at several Texas farms during his career, died after a breeding accident this year.
Immerse, dam of grade I winner Stephen Got Even, was euthanized May 14 because of foaling complications.
Weekend Storm, dam of Central Kentucky stallion Kipling and four stakes winners, died Feb. 12 of foaling complications.
WinStar Farm's Court Vision made an eye-opening run down the middle of the racetrack, passing four rivals in deep stretch en route to a half-length victory in the $150,000 Iroquois Stakes (gr. III) opening day at Churchill Downs Oct. 28.
Bucksplasher, who sired Eclipse Award winner and Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) victor Buck's Boy, died the first week of October.
Seattle Dancer, who set the racing world abuzz when he commanded a world-record $13.1 as a yearling, died of a heart attack in June.
Classic winner and prominent sire Summer Squall has been retired from stud duty at William S. Farish's Lane's End Farm near Versailles, Ky., due to continuing problems with his fertility.
Grade I winner Stephen Got Even was retired from racing due to an injury the colt sustained while training toward a start in the Woodward Stakes (gr. I). The 4-year-old son of A.P. Indy--Immerse, by Cox's Ridge, will stand in 2001 for a fee of $30,000 live foal at Lane's End Farm near Versailles, Ky.
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Player to Return on Churchill's Closing Night