The Kentucky State Veterinarian's office has lifted a restriction that kept horses from Indiana's Hoosier Park from entering the barn areas of any Kentucky racetrack or public training facility.
A potential outbreak of strangles at Hoosier Park has forced Kentucky racetracks and public training stables to temporarily ban all horses from the Indiana track.
- By Ron Mitchell
Officials at Churchill Downs say confirmation of a case of equine herpesvirus (EHV-1) in one horse should have limited impact on the fall meet that begins Sunday, as long as the disease is limited.
All horses shipping onto New York Racing Association properties from Kentucky as of Dec. 31 will be required to be accompanied with a 48-hour Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), said Rusty Ford of the Kentucky State Veterinarian's office.
The Kentucky State Veterinarian's Office announced Dec. 30 that, while 11 horses from Turfway Park's Barn 26 that previously tested positive for equine herpesvirus now test negative, five horses still tested positive. They quarantined seven horses in the outrider's barn.
Kentucky State veterinarian Robert Stout said the state has begun enforcing regulations that require any horse traveling within Kentucky--except farm-to-farm and to approved sales--to have a current Coggins test (within the previous 12 months) and a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection conducted within the previous 150 days.
Kentucky state veterinarian Dr. Robert Stout Thursday issued a ban on all livestock, wild or exotic animals -- including horses--from Texas from entering Kentucky due to reports of vesicular stomatitis in horses in west Texas.
A 2-year-old Thoroughbred stabled at Churchill Downs before being euthanized last month was confirmed Friday to have West Nile virus, according to the Kentucky State veterinarian's office.
Most Popular Stories
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement
- Suffolk Downs Files Paperwork for Racetrack Sale
- Ashleyluvssugar, Texas Ryano Reunite in San Luis Rey
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage