Top Fortitude, overlooked by bettors at 30-1 after a poor 2014 debut a month earlier, outfought his challengers in the stretch May 10 to post a huge surprise in the $100,000 Lazaro Barrera Stakes (gr. III) at Santa Anita.
Jockey Kayla Stra is expected to miss up to 10 days with a dislocated right thumb suffered when her mount, Russian Silk, broke down passing the quarter pole in the ninth race March 29 on the Santa Anita Park turf.
Lenny and Steve discuss Flat Out, Game On Dude, field sizes, Kayla Stra, and talk to trainer Eric Guillot about his horse Moreno, impressive winner of the Dwyer. Sponsored by Darby Dan Farm. Watch Video
Steve Haskin revisits Blind Luck and Invisible Ink and other stories. read blog
Animal Planet announced March 19 that the network's popular docu-drama "Jockeys" would be renewed for a second season of programs. The first season, which concluded March 13, brought Animal Planet viewers into the lives of seven jockeys who race at Santa Anita Park during its Oak Tree Meet last fall.
The thrills. The spills. The rivalries, rage, and romances. And yes, the flipping, too. It's all there in a new 12-part documentary television series, "Jockeys."
Twelve episodes of a 30-minute show featuring the lives of seven jockeys during the Oak Tree at Santa Anita meet will air on Animal Planet beginning with a pair of shows Feb. 6.
Most Popular Stories
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Curlin's Approval Stretches Out Handily in Royal Delta
- Wild At Heart Makes Short Work of Buena Vista
- High Ridge Road Closes to Win Barbara Fritchie
- Miss Temple City, Lady Eli Put in First Works of 2017
- Imperial Hint Makes the Grade in General George
- Gunnevera, Three Rules Work toward Fountain of Youth