Top Fortitude, overlooked by bettors at 30-1 after a poor 2014 debut a month earlier, outfought his challengers in the stretch May 10 to post a huge surprise in the $100,000 Lazaro Barrera Stakes (gr. III) at Santa Anita.
Jockey Kayla Stra is expected to miss up to 10 days with a dislocated right thumb suffered when her mount, Russian Silk, broke down passing the quarter pole in the ninth race March 29 on the Santa Anita Park turf.
- By Steve Haskin
Lenny and Steve discuss Flat Out, Game On Dude, field sizes, Kayla Stra, and talk to trainer Eric Guillot about his horse Moreno, impressive winner of the Dwyer. Sponsored by Darby Dan Farm. Watch Video
- By Steve Haskin
Steve Haskin revisits Blind Luck and Invisible Ink and other stories. read blog
Animal Planet announced March 19 that the network's popular docu-drama "Jockeys" would be renewed for a second season of programs. The first season, which concluded March 13, brought Animal Planet viewers into the lives of seven jockeys who race at Santa Anita Park during its Oak Tree Meet last fall.
The thrills. The spills. The rivalries, rage, and romances. And yes, the flipping, too. It's all there in a new 12-part documentary television series, "Jockeys."
Twelve episodes of a 30-minute show featuring the lives of seven jockeys during the Oak Tree at Santa Anita meet will air on Animal Planet beginning with a pair of shows Feb. 6.
Most Popular Stories
- Stellar Wind 7-2 Choice for Oaks
- Wise Dan Back to Jogging on Track
- El Kabeir Walks Shedrow, Dortmund Gallops
- Oxley Hopes Danzig Moon Follows Monarchos
- Delaware Horse Racing Boosts State Economy
- American Pharoah Forges Way to Zayat's Heart
- Kentucky Derby News Update: April 28, 2015
- Nader Leaving Hong Kong, Will Return to U.S.
- A Look at 2015 Homebred Derby Hopefuls
- Fitness Options Added for Churchill Jockeys