Despite a track security guard witnessesing the death of Slippin' Around, many questions remain unanswered after track security and regulatory officials failed to work together early in their investigation.
The trainer who failed to report the pre-race death of her horse to the stewards at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort this spring has received a penalty similar to those given for minor medication violations.
West Virginia Racing Commission officials said May 21 they are continuing an investigation into the April death of a horse at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort, and are developing protocol to handle such incidents.
Officials looking into the cause and if any violations occurred at the time, and how reporting and protocol were handled after the death of Slippin' Around, who was scheduled to run April 19 at Mountaineer.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- Creative Cause Filly Sells for $575,000
- OBS April First Session Soars
- Orb Colt Grew Up, Brought $685,000 at OBS
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo