The Hirsch family is one of California's most prominent in the Thoroughbred business, and Papa Clem, named after the late Clement Hirsch, will carry on that rich tradition in the May 2 Run for the Roses.
Seven horses sold for more than $100,000 during Monday's opening session of the two-day Del Mar yearling sale. Last year, five horses sold in this price range for the entire sale. The average price for the first session was $52,918, far above the sale's record average price of $36,798 set in 1999.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail