Ruffian Handicap (gr. I) winner Tough Tiz's Sis was scheduled to undergo surgery Sept. 21 after she suffered a career ending injury during a workout at Belmont Park a morning earlier.
Bob Baffert scratched morning-line favorite Indian Blessing in the $300,000 Ruffian Handicap (gr. I), but still left himself a chance with his other lesser-known entry, Tough Tiz's Sis. The veteran trainer must have known exactly what he was doing, as the daughter of Tiznow enjoyed the sloppy conditions at Belmont Park en route to a dominating 12 1/4 length victory Sept. 6.
Nominated as one of the National Thoroughbred Racing Association's moments of the year, Midnight Lute's TVG Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) feat cemented him as the obvious choice for an Eclipse Award as champion of his division.
Southern California trainer Bob Baffert continues to see dividends from his decision to take a string from his Southern California stable to Saratoga. In the $250,000 Forego Handicap (gr. I), his Midnight Lute made the lead on the turn of the seven-furlong test and rolled to his first grade I win by more than two lengths under substitute rider Shaun Bridgmohan.
Midnight Lute, a recent arrival from California trained by Bob Baffert, drew off by 4 3/4 lengths in winning the $200,000 Perryville Stakes (presented by Budweiser Select) (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Keeneland Friday.
Most Popular Stories
- Judy the Beauty Splendid in Las Flores Score
- Pressure Off Sherman After 'Chrome's Dazzler
- After the Wire: Santa Anita Handicap
- Expectations High for OBS 2-Year-Old Sale
- Darley Sire Lonhro Enters Australian Hall
- Golden Gate Fields Adds Alcatraz Stakes
- Ramseys' Major Marvel Takes Barbados Gold Cup
- Honor Code Gets Tightener for Seasonal Debut
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- Santa Anita Handicap Handle Increases 23%