Trainer Mac Robertson continued his Minnesota Festival of Champions dominance by winning four of the six Thoroughbred stakes and an allowance race Sept. 1 at Canterbury Park.
Steve Asmussen's latest bend on the Triple Crown trail took the two-time Eclipse Award-winning trainer back to New Mexico Feb. 26 where his maiden Fusa Code upset the field in the $100,000 Borderland Derby at Sunland Park.
The 45-1 outsider Trusty Temper, ridden by Justin Shepherd, shook off favored Saarlight in early stretch and repulsed a strong challenge mid-stretch to win the $200,000 Jostle Stakes by 2 1/2 lengths at Philadelphia Park June 13.
Love to Tell dictated the pace from the start under Justin Shepherd, catching her rivals napping en route to a 2 1/4-length upset victory in the $125,000 Bayou Handicap on the Fair Grounds turf Feb. 21.
Taking advantage of a suicidal speed duel, H. Gus King's 12-1 shot Sir Five Star rallied wide from off the pace to win the $50,000 Mountain Valley Stakes for 3-year-olds by 8 1/2 lengths before a crowd of 11,809 Saturday at Oaklawn Park.
Midwestern-based jockeys Brian Hernandez Jr., a leading candidate for an Eclipse Award as the nation's outstanding apprentice, and Justin Shepherd have agreed to wear the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation's logo on their pants.
Josh's Madelyn went from last to first to earn her first graded-stakes win in Thursday's $224,200 Raven Run Stakes (gr. II) at Keeneland.
Be My Friend, a 29-1 shot ridden by Justin Shepherd, captured the $70,000 Lady Canterbury Breeders' Cup Stakes at Canterbury Park when she won a spirited stretch duel on the turf with favored Cat's Cat by a head.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- I Thought I had Seen it All
- Fields Set for Louisiana Derby, Fair Grounds Oaks
- Irish War Cry Works With Wood Memorial Bid Likely
- Second Summer Catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile
- Gunnevera Leads Busy Sophomore Work Slate