Trainer Steve Hobby earned the 1,000th win of his career March 1 when Ruthless Empire easily won seventh race at Oaklawn Park, a maiden claiming event, as the 4-5 favorite under jockey Rosemary Homeister Jr.
Dwyer Stakes winner Teeth of the Dog, looking to rebound from a fourth in the Jim Dandy, heads a field of nine sophomores including Prospective and My Adonis in the $350,000 Smarty Jones Stakes Sept. 3 at Parx.
Smarty Jones Stakes winner Junebugred has a bone chip in his ankle and will need arthroscopic surgery to have it removed, taking him off the Triple Crown trail.
With 21 3-year-old entrants for the Southwest Stakes (gr. III) Jan. 20, Oaklawn Park has split the race into two divisions worth $250,000 apiece.
Junebugred made his 2012 debut a winning one, but it was close. The chestnut son of Corinthian defeated 17-1 longshot Reckless Jerry by a neck in the $100,000 Smarty Jones Stakes for 3-year-olds at Oaklawn Park Jan. 16.
Oaklawn Park's road to the Triple Crown, which culminates with the $1 million Arkansas Derby (gr. I) this spring, begins Jan. 16 with the $100,000 Smarty Jones Stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- As Borell Released, Cruelty Laws Questioned
- Top Caribbean Race to Be Held at Gulfstream
- The Paralyzed Jockey Who's Still in the Race
- Wake Forest Heads United Nations
- Tuttipaesi Chases Graded Repeat
- Probe Into Abandoned Horses Continues
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Proposed Changes in PA-Bred Fund Questioned