Trainer Steve Hobby earned the 1,000th win of his career March 1 when Ruthless Empire easily won seventh race at Oaklawn Park, a maiden claiming event, as the 4-5 favorite under jockey Rosemary Homeister Jr.
Dwyer Stakes winner Teeth of the Dog, looking to rebound from a fourth in the Jim Dandy, heads a field of nine sophomores including Prospective and My Adonis in the $350,000 Smarty Jones Stakes Sept. 3 at Parx.
Smarty Jones Stakes winner Junebugred has a bone chip in his ankle and will need arthroscopic surgery to have it removed, taking him off the Triple Crown trail.
With 21 3-year-old entrants for the Southwest Stakes (gr. III) Jan. 20, Oaklawn Park has split the race into two divisions worth $250,000 apiece.
Junebugred made his 2012 debut a winning one, but it was close. The chestnut son of Corinthian defeated 17-1 longshot Reckless Jerry by a neck in the $100,000 Smarty Jones Stakes for 3-year-olds at Oaklawn Park Jan. 16.
Oaklawn Park's road to the Triple Crown, which culminates with the $1 million Arkansas Derby (gr. I) this spring, begins Jan. 16 with the $100,000 Smarty Jones Stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- Martin Defends Sending 'Chrome' to Ascot
- Rivals Back to Challenge Dortmund in SA Derby
- Former Claimer Chases Greatness in SA Oaks
- 2015 Florida Derby Race Sequence
- The Big Beast Returns to the Big Leagues
- Frosted Looking to Rebound in Wood Memorial
- Grade II Winner Williamstown Dead at 25
- Condo Commando Tops Gazelle Contenders
- Blinkers On 'Truth Or Else' in Arkansas Derby
- Blue Grass Hopefuls Train at Keeneland