Peter Redekop's Alert Bay was sent off at 3-5 to defend his title in the $100,000 San Francisco Mile (G3T) April 29, and the 6-year-old gelding had no problem doing so, as he held on gamely to win by 1 1/4 lengths.
California sire Northern Indy got his first winner on the racetrack Sept. 9 at Golden Gate Fields, where Remmah Racing's 2-year-old gelding West Coast Indy won a maiden claiming race to kick off the Friday card.
Jockey Juan Hernandez won three consecutive races Feb. 20 at Golden Gate Fields, picking up his 1,000th victory in the United States in the process.
Swung six wide into the stretch, lightly regarded Pepper Crown uncoiled a torrid outside rally and won the $100,315 Berkeley Handicap (gr. III) going away as the longest shot in the field Nov. 30 at Golden Gate Fields.
Hudson Landing came from off the pace to post an upset in the $150,000 San Francisco Mile (gr. IIIT) April 28, winning his third in a row at Golden Gate Fields since being claimed for $50,000 in February.
Southern California-based Vladimir Cerin earned his 1,000th career training victory on his birthday Nov. 26 when his 5-year-old gelding Cigar Man got up in the final jump to win the $100,900 All American Stakes (gr. III).
Most Popular Stories
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Tapwrit Works Towards Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double
- Well-Placed Illuminant Shines in Monrovia
- Gormley Works for Possible Belmont Start