Jose Olivares, a retired jockey and member of the Oriental Park Hall of Fame at Calder Race Course, died Jan. 17 at his home in Tampa, Fla., of an apparent heart attack.
Former jockey Jose Olivares, whose career was cut short after being paralyzed in a spill at Finger Lakes in 1970, has been named the 15th member of the Finger Lakes Gaming & Racetrack Hall of Fame. An induction ceremony is scheduled to take place July 16 between the fifth and sixth races at the New York track.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird Fine After Sharp CCA Oaks Victory
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Lane's End Texas Closes, Stallions Relocate
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- Creator, Gun Runner Work in Saratoga
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- NY Alters Rules on Claims, Some Medications
- Gift Box, Connect, Swipe Entered in Curlin
- 'Chrome' Back to Los Al After San Diego Win
- OK-Bred GI Winner Clever Trevor Dies at 31