Jose Olivares, a retired jockey and member of the Oriental Park Hall of Fame at Calder Race Course, died Jan. 17 at his home in Tampa, Fla., of an apparent heart attack.
Former jockey Jose Olivares, whose career was cut short after being paralyzed in a spill at Finger Lakes in 1970, has been named the 15th member of the Finger Lakes Gaming & Racetrack Hall of Fame. An induction ceremony is scheduled to take place July 16 between the fifth and sixth races at the New York track.
Most Popular Stories
- Del Mar to Pay Out Consolations for Pick 6
- End of Road for ‘Claiming Rule’ Challenge
- Bowman Wins Hong Kong Jockey Championship
- Greatbullsoffire Tops Futurity
- Woolf Award Finalists Announced
- Thoroughbred Makeover Accepting Applications
- Bode's Dream Makes Return in House Party
- Castellano Aims for More Gulfstream Success
- Paulassilverlining Set for Garland of Roses
- Casse Mulls Derby Path for Classic Empire