Jose Olivares, a retired jockey and member of the Oriental Park Hall of Fame at Calder Race Course, died Jan. 17 at his home in Tampa, Fla., of an apparent heart attack.
Former jockey Jose Olivares, whose career was cut short after being paralyzed in a spill at Finger Lakes in 1970, has been named the 15th member of the Finger Lakes Gaming & Racetrack Hall of Fame. An induction ceremony is scheduled to take place July 16 between the fifth and sixth races at the New York track.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - February 21, 2017
- Guest Suite Fires Bullet in Preparation for Risen Star
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- Trainer Stuart Earns Career Victory 1,000
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Churchill Downs, Cancer Institute Announce Partnership
- Grade 1 Winner Gormley Works Toward Next Start