Heir Kitty overtook 4-5 favorite Sweet Lulu in the final furlong to post a 13-1 upset in the $300,000 La Brea Stakes (gr. I) on opening day at Santa Anita Park Dec. 26 for Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens.
More than six months after pledging a thorough investigation into the death of jockey Jorge Herrera, the California Horse Racing Board released a summary of its findings Jan. 10.
In the aftermath of a jockey's death as the result of a massive brain injury July 5 at the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton, Calif., management has agreed to staff its track ambulance with a licensed paramedic.
Jockey Jorge Herrera was killed when he was thrown from his mount in the eighth race July 5 at the Alameda County Fair in Pleasanton, Calif., a racing official confirmed.
Apprentice jockey Jorge Herrera, who has been at Legacy Emmanuel Hospital since a spill Monday afternoon, is improving, according to doctors.
Most Popular Stories
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- Brisk Activity Bodes Well for OBS Spring Sale
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey
- OBS Hips to Watch Include Tapwrit's Half Brother