French Two Thousand Guineas winner Karakontie will bid to add a second classic triumph to his record June 1 in the Prix du Jockey Club (Fr-I, French Derby) at Chantilly.
The Niarchos family's Karakontie tenaciously outfought Prestige Vendome and narrowly won the Poule d'Essai des Poulains (Fr-I, French Two Thousand Guineas) May 11 at Longchamp.
Maxios got up in the closing strides to deny Planteur victory in the Prix d'Ispahan (Fr-I) and Silasol won the Pour Moi Coolmore Prix Saint-Alary (Fr-I), giving deceased sire Monsun a group I double May 26 at Longchamp.
Montare completed a weekend Group 1 double for her sire, Montjeu, when she captured the Prix Royal-Oak (Fr-I) at Longchamp on Sunday.
Arc winner Bago became a group I winner for the third consecutive year when he burst through a hole near the rail with a furlong left to win the Prix Ganay (Fr-I) at Longchamp on Sunday.
Only three accepted the challenge of facing Bago in Sunday's Juddmonte Grand Prix de Paris (Fr-I) at Longchamp, but the undefeated colt had to work for his half-length victory over Irish-bred Cacique.
Bago, France's leading 2-year-old in 2003, kept his perfect record intact Sunday in his season debut with an impressive victory in the Prix Jean Prat (Fr-I) at Chantilly.
The Nairchos Family's Bago bounded into next year's European Classic picture with a six-length romp in Saturday's Criterium International (Fr-I) at Saint-Cloud.
Most Popular Stories
- Story to Tell, La Grange Win Juvenile Stakes
- Ortiz, Castellano Finish in Tie at Belmont
- New Journeyman Cabrera Wins Lone Star Title
- Wildcat Red Posts Bullet Breeze for Haskell
- No Catching Unspurned in Bison City Stakes
- A Conversation With Michael Straight
- Gallante Shocks Soggy Grand Prix de Paris
- Initial Win Noted for Louisiana Sire Orthodox
- Positive Outlook for Fasig-Tipton Yearlings
- Apprentice LaRicci Tallies With First Mount