Susan and Jim Hill's Solid Appeal, a 4-year-old daughter of Successful Appeal, knocked down her second straight grade II Canadian stakes, winning the Dance Smartly Stakes at Woodbine July 7 by two lengths.
City to City once again showed her affection for the Del Mar grass, winning the John C. Mabee in dramatic fashion for her second grade II score where the surf meets the turf.
Cambina, along with rival Nereid, top the $250,000 John C. Mabee Stakes (gr. IIT) Aug. 12 at Del Mar. The cast of six will travel nine furlongs on the turf.
Magical Fantasy earned her third consecutive graded stakes score by coming from off the pace to win the $350,000 John C. Mabee (gr. IT) under Alex Solis Aug. 16 at Del Mar.
Mrs. Betty L. Mabee, owner of Golden Eagle Farm in Ramona, Calif., announced today that Ms. Janine McCullough has been hired to fill the new position of business manager for the farm.
A bang-up field of nine goes postward in Saturday's feature at Del Mar, the grassy nine furlong $400,000 John C. Mabee/Ramona Handicap (gr. IT).
TVG will offer exclusive live network coverage of Saturday's $400,000 John C. Mabee/Ramona Handicap (gr. IT) and the $200,000 Bing Crosby Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) from Del Mar Thoroughbred Club. On Sunday, TVG will have exclusive coverage of the Eddie Read Handicap (gr. IT).
Del Mar Thoroughbred Club will rename the Ramona Handicap in honor of the late John C. Mabee, a founding member, president, and chairman of the organization that operates the seaside racetrack.
John C. Mabee, who parlayed a corner grocery store into one of the country's most prominent breeding and racing operations, died April 24 at the Casa Palmera Care Center in Del Mar, less than a week after suffering a major stroke. He was 80.
Most Popular Stories
- Bal a Bali Vying for U.S. Score in American
- Pletcher Considers Preakness Stakes Options
- Princess Violet Tops Ruffian Stakes Entrants
- KHRC Vote on Salix Threshold Triggers Debate
- Unspurned Seeks Repeat Performance in Hendrie
- Wolf Man Rocket Ships in for Peter Pan Stakes
- Beholder, Warren's Veneda Face Off in Vanity
- NYRA to Cap Belmont Attendance at 90,000
- Hardest Core in Man o' War vs. Imagining
- MarketWatch: Jamie Hill on Sires, Pinhooking