Legislation legalizing commercial casino gambling in New York was introduced June 19 at the state Capitol. The legislation, expected to be voted on soon, would need approval by voters in a statewide referendum this fall.
New York lawmaker John Bonacic is opening the door to permitting more casinos in the state than the maximum of seven facilities being eyed by the governor and the legislature.
At a time when out-of-state ADW operators are facing mounting criticism from some lawmakers and OTB operators in New York, Churchill Downs Inc. has turned to an influential Albany lobbying firm to represent its interests.
Efforts to realign the struggling racing and off-track betting industry in New York have failed another annual legislative session at the state Capitol in Albany June 23.
A resolution has been introduced in the New York State Senate to permit privately owned casinos in four counties that are also home to racetracks.
With a 2.75% proposed surcharge on purses, New York lawmakers look to find alternate ways to make up the gap; disagree on how to proceed.
A long-shot measure to re-open the New York City Off-Track Betting Corp. failed to get enough votes to even make it out of a New York state Senate committee on March 8.
Three casinos would be permitted in New York's Catskills tourist region under a constitutional amendment introduced in the Legislature for consideration next year.
Racetracks in New York would be permitted to have full Las Vegas-style casinos under new state legislation that also calls for a constitutional amendment to permit non-Indian casinos in the Catskills and Western New York.
Most Popular Stories
- Barretts' First Del Mar Sale Sees Increase
- The Truth Or Else Joins Belmont Stakes Mix
- Smooth Stride Could Lift American Pharoah
- Old Friends Cabin Creek Welcomes Be Bullish
- Lopez Family Faces Off at Golden Gate
- Secretariat's Birthplace Named 'Historic'
- American Pharoah Jogs One Mile at Churchill
- Miss Temple City on Schedule for Royal Ascot
- MarketWatch: McPeek on Yearling Selection
- No Belmont Stakes for Conquest Curlinate