Already the all-time leading female trainer by wins, Kim Hammond notched her 2,000th career victory Feb. 8 when she saddled Big Smooth to an emphatic seven-length score in the fourth race at Turfway Park.
Frank Kirby has been elected president of the Illinois Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association.
The Illinois Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association and Arlington Park have joined to form a new Backstretch Council comprised of people and organizations that will assist in providing services to backstretch residents while having a daily presence at the racetrack.
The Illinois Horse Racing Board is scheduled to meet Jan. 29 to decide on a $13-million "recapture" payment to the state's racetracks that would come from the horsemen's purse account.
The 2002 Sportsman's Park Thoroughbred meet is expected to go on as scheduled even though Chicago Motor Speedway has decided to suspend auto racing this year.
Most Popular Stories
- Laurel Park Cancels Sunday, March 1 Racing
- Gulfstream Park Cancels Card in Deluge
- Royal Son Easily Captures Battaglia Memorial
- Stellar Wind Sails to Santa Ysabel Victory
- Rodriguez Suspended, Fined for Positives
- Avila Defiant in Face of Suspension
- Palace Malice in First Work Back for Pletcher
- Almoonqith Wins at Meydan, Cavalryman Injured
- Illinois Racing Board Appointments Announced
- Devine Aida Aces Sloppy Herecomesthebride