Already the all-time leading female trainer by wins, Kim Hammond notched her 2,000th career victory Feb. 8 when she saddled Big Smooth to an emphatic seven-length score in the fourth race at Turfway Park.
Frank Kirby has been elected president of the Illinois Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association.
The Illinois Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association and Arlington Park have joined to form a new Backstretch Council comprised of people and organizations that will assist in providing services to backstretch residents while having a daily presence at the racetrack.
- By Victor Ryan
The Illinois Horse Racing Board is scheduled to meet Jan. 29 to decide on a $13-million "recapture" payment to the state's racetracks that would come from the horsemen's purse account.
The 2002 Sportsman's Park Thoroughbred meet is expected to go on as scheduled even though Chicago Motor Speedway has decided to suspend auto racing this year.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- 'Chrome' Back to Los Al After San Diego Win
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Up With the Birds Back Winning at Woodbine
- Nyquist Logs Final Work for Haskell
- Hard Aces Too Tough in Cougar II
- Lanerie Scores Unusual Double at Ellis Park
- Beholder Brilliant in Del Mar Breeze
- Destin Remains On Track for Jim Dandy