Jockey Stewart Elliott, winner of the 2004 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) aboard Smarty Jones, is moving his tack to Kentucky, he confirmed March 19.
Hawthorne Race Course has hired industry veteran Allan Plever as racing secretary and director of racing operations, the Chicagoland oval announced in a release June 11.
Steve Bass, who booked mounts for nine-time leading Keeneland rider Julien Leparoux for the past seven years, will have Rosie Napravnik and Alan Garcia when the meet opens April 5.
Rene Araya, once among the top claiming trainers in New York, has retired to return to his former career as a jockey agent. Araya's new career begins again Feb. 19 when five-pound apprentice rider Catalino Martinez makes his American debut with two mounts at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- Distorted Humor Filly Brings $575,000 at OBS
- Stronach Group Supports Bill to Bring in USADA
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Filly’s Price Tag is Right for the Prices
- Jade Girl First Winner for Power Broker
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- ABR Talks with Mike Langford, Owner of Untrapped
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- What's Going On Here: Most Charming