Track officials at Tampa Bay Downs announced June 6 the creation of a $5,000 Jockeys' Challenge for riders who compete in the two-day Summer Racing Festival June 30 and July 1.
Portland Meadows has cancelled a jockey challenge scheduled for Nov. 29 because the California riders scheduled to compete won't make the trip north.
The top four riders in the country based on earnings, two Hall of Fame jockeys with Preakness (gr. I) victories, another who has won the middle jewel of the Triple Crown, Maryland's all-time winningest rider, and Eclipse Award winners Kent Desormeaux and Garrett Gomez will do battle in the first Jockey Challenge at Pimlico.
Eight of the nation's top jockeys, including Eclipse Award winners Kent Desormeaux, Edgar Prado, Garrett Gomez, and John Velazquez, will square off in the inaugural Jockey Challenge at Pimlico Race Course May 15, the day before the $1 million Preakness Stakes (gr. I).
Thoroughbred racing's all-time winning jockey Russell Baze and three of his colleagues will fly up from Northern California to take on four of the top riders at Portland Meadows Jan. 7 in the first Golden Gate versus Portland Meadows Jockey Challenge sponsored by XpressBet.
In the International Jockey Challenge Sunday at Santa Anita, Laffit Pincay Jr. rode two winners to lead a team of American riders to victory over a team of European jockeys.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Tops NTRA Poll
- Dortmund to Track, Other Derby Horses Arrive
- California Chrome Adjusting to Newmarket
- Baffert May Not Enter Filly in Kentucky Oaks
- Ranking the Kentucky Derby Workouts
- Weir, Lipinski on NBC Social Media for Derby
- Alto Aims High With Materiality
- Upstart Breeder Out of Hospital, CD Bound
- Lenny's Place: Kentucky Derby Edition
- NJ Casino Simulcast Bill Signed Into Law