Burning Sands Stables' homebred Awesome Gent, who sat just off two dueling leaders for almost a half-mile, took over in the stretch and pulled away to win the $125,000 Jimmy Winkfield Stakes for 3-year-olds at Aqueduct.
Ackeret stalked a tepid pace en route to his first career stakes win in the $100,000 Jimmy Winkfield Stakes for 3-year-olds March 8 at muddy Aqueduct Racetrack.
Irad Ortiz Jr. rode five more winners Monday at Aqueduct, including a five-length victory aboard 2-5 favorite Clawback in the $73,500 Jimmy Winkfield Stakes for 3-year-olds.
Go Go Shoot misbehaved in the starting gate but was all business when the gates opened and cruised home a 3 1/2-length winner of the $81,725 Jimmy Winkfield Stakes on a frigid afternoon at Aqueduct Jan. 21.
Law N Dora puts his undefeated record on the line in his stakes debut, the $75,000 Jimmy Winkfield Stakes at Aqueduct Jan. 21.
Six 3-year-old sprinters vie in the first running of the $75,000-added Jimmy Winkfield Stakes, named for one of the greatest African-American jockeys of all time, highlighting Aqueduct's Martin Luther King Jr. Day program Monday.
Aqueduct has named a stakes race in honor of the late Hall of Fame jockey Jimmy Winkfield. The inaugural $75,000 Jimmy Winkfield Stakes will be held on Martin Luther King Day (Jan. 17, 2005) and is for 3-year-old fillies going six furlongs.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Late Run Lifts Dacita to Victory in Diana
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- California Diamond Shines in Paddock Sale
- Enola Gray Still Perfect After Del Mar Run
- Bitumen Rallies to Sanford Score
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death